The Layout and Calculation of Street Lighting Design
Street lights are very important as they serve and are designed so that people can travel safely at night. Street lighting designs can never give you the effect of daylight, and they can show you the path properly. The street lights provide sufficient light to the passer-by at night. For people who drive at night, the street lighting system provides enough light to identify the traffic signals, the other cars, or other important objects. Nowadays, LED street lights lower the risk of night-time accidents, crimes, etc. It also lowers the risk of vandalism. Street lights create a secure environment for habitation at night.
The Basic Features
The street light system has a few basic features. Without these features, it cannot function and cannot serve its purpose. The features are:
• Photo sensor-activated– The street lights are designed so that they have a built-in sensor. This sensor helps the street light sense and work in low light only. The plus point of this photosensor is that you need not appoint anyone to switch on and off the lights.
• Integrated solar panel– The street light has a solar panel installed to reduce the operational cost. It is for either main or backup power.
Specifications of Street lightings
There are a few specifications of the light street designs. These specifications help the street light to serve its purpose properly. The specifications are:
• Operating Temperature– The operating temperature specification is specially designed for street lights. This is the average temperature at which the lights function well.
• Brightness of the Street lights- Brightness is the most important factor of the street light. As the purpose of the street light is to provide light in the dark, it has to be bright. Brightness is the amount of light it provides.
• Power of the street light- Power consumption of the street lights is a very important factor. If the street lights consume excessive power, it will be an extra cost to the corporation.
Main Objectives of the street lighting design scheme
The main objectives of the street lighting design scheme are
• Safety- The main objective of installing the street lights is safety. Street lights help people to see in the dark and avoid accidents.
•Comfortable movement of vehicles– As the street lights provide light in the dark, the vehicles can easily notice the objects and the barriers and move smoothly and freely on the road at night.
Types of Roads that Need Street Lighting
The roads that need the street lights include heavy and light speed traffic, roads with separators, roads where crossing is not allowed, accident-prone roads, express highways, roads in busy cities, cities with nightlife, and many more. To avoid accidents and crimes at night, street lights are very important.